Thursday, November 14, 2013

Waving the Dunes


Arriving at the park, we decided to tank up and adjust the tire pressure for the sandy roads. The parks here are expensive but that's just like everywhere else in the world.

Our campsite was great. We were far from everyone and had a small bathroom/shower which was hardly used by the other campers. The food provided by the park service was mediocre and the swimming pool was so badly designed that it was hard to find any shade after getting out of the swimming pool.

Each night we trekked up the dunes to watch the sun go down and we did the same each morning waking up at 4:30 to get to the gate first so we could drive the 66 km of tar road to the end where the deep sandy road begins. There is where the fun really begins. I learned it is important to make sure you are in low gear and not trust your husband who hands over the car to you and says everything is ready for you. I am actually amazed how far I got in the wrong gear before I got stuck. Frank said just go backwards and then forwards but I knew that I would just dig my way in. Luckily a cool Dutch guide with dreadlocks jumped in and freed the car up, gave me some tips and we were off and running again.


At the end of the road, I met an older gentleman who we met in Fish River Canyon. He had travelled Africa the last 35 years and gave me good tips each time we spoke. He smiled at me and said what are you waiting for- Go climb that dune before all the other tourist show up! And that is exactly what we did along with the Dutch tour guide's group. This was a highlight for me. Breathe taking-red sand dunes lite up by the morning sun. It just doesn't get better than that. Heaven on Earth! And that's where I found my new adrenaline sport that just made me so happy! Running straight down a sand dune. Yeahoo! It was so much fun we did it two more times that day and woke up again the next morning to do it again. On that morning we clearly started a trend since we were the first and then all the rest followed!

No comments:

Post a Comment